Friday 8 March 2013

A Few Articles That Have Caught My Eye

I've stumbled upon a few articles and blog posts recently (some not quite so recently) that have related to some of my previous posts here on One Green Dress and I thought that I would pass them your way to peruse at your leisure. Do take a look- they are all well worth reading:



'The Sustainable Fashion Paradox' by threadGently


This very well written piece talks a little more about the high street ethical lines, for example H&M's Conscious Collection, (see my article on the collection here) and discusses whether sustainability and fast fashion are compatible or mutually exclusive. It's an age old question that is found at the crux of the ethical fashion industry: Sustainability VS Consumerism.

'Luxury Leather and the Amazon' by Lucy Siegle


This article written for The Observer discusses Gucci's New Jackie O Bag that is sourced from deforestation free-zones. The bag is in collaboration with Livia Firth and Lucy Siegle's Green Carpet Challenge project where designer brands dress celebrities ethically at Red Carpet events to raise awareness for ethical fashion. The article explains a bit more about the difficulties of ethics in the leather industry but I am yet to find out whether the Gucci bag tackles the problem of leather tanning in an ethical manner- TBC...

'Why I Prefer Real Leather' by The Conscience Collective


Another article on ethical leather which gives a reasoned and down to earth opinion on the leather debate. It's a subject which I find really interesting mainly because people always focus on Fur as opposed to leather (you can see my blog post on the subject here). Hopefully articles like this one and the new Gucci handbag will get people talking about it more.

1 comment:

  1. Some really interesting articles. There are so many difficult decisions when it comes to ethical and sustainable fashion. Whether to support high street sustainable lines or stick to buying from those brands with sustainability and ethics at their core. The leather one is another dilemma for me. I also can't make up my mind whether to buy second hand which is the most sustainable option or ethical brands which help people around the world. In the end I do a bit of everything and hope that in some way I am making a difference. Whilst I don't think the ethical brands by high street retailers are the best choice, I do think they are important in increasing visibility and awareness of sustainable fashion.

    ReplyDelete